latest Reviews and articles
- Food / Wine
- Life and Style
- uefa champions league ticket promo
- Double room, 3 min walk to Blackhorse Station
- Upholsterer & Fabric Wall Covering Specialist
- mother help
The Commander in the heart of Notting HillA great new concept in the heart of Notting Hill. Not only does it offer a welcoming oyster bar and delicious, unpretentious restaurant food, including seafood and burgers with tasty chunky chips, but it also hosts in its courtyard a famous butcher, a friendly fishmonger and a charming florist.
I first went to the Commander on the day it opened. I was looking forward to the amazing seafood I was told I would found there. They also had a 50% off promotion which they justified by saying they were not 100% ready and therefore customers would not have to pay full price if the service was not of high quality. I have to say they were right. The food was great but the service, I am afraid to say was very very poor. I then returned in the first few weeks to check how things were changing and finally attended their official opening nearly a month later. The place was absolutely packed, champagne was flowing and the oyster bar was in full swing. I have since returned on many occasions, mainly for lunch, and the service has improved every time to finally become what you would expect of this type of establishment.
What I like so much about the Commander is that it has a cosy, relaxed atmosphere. They sell fish and meat by weight, with next to it the cost of preparation, which is a great idea. One thing that I have yet to be impressed about is their desserts. There is quite a margin for improvement. Other pluses:
- A crèche for the kids for parents to relax whilst finishing their meal (perfect also to keep noisy kids away from diners)
- Rooms to rent for private dinners or business meetings. The rooms incidentally are lovely and one in particular is designed for exhibitions/Company AGM/presentations/screenings
-All the upstairs rooms are air conditioned
- Their very comprehensive wine list
All in all, there wasn't anything like the Commander in the area and this is a long awaited new comer.
Try the oysters (they are sold individually so you can choose to have 7 if you want instead of the usual half dozen).
The burgers are a must.
Their lunch menu is well worth trying at £13.50 for two course.
Evening Meal for two approx. £90 including wine
More articles like this
- Lunch in Notting Hill - The Le...
- Between champagne and confetti...
- The Art of the Croque-Monsieur
- 4 Last Minute Present Ideas fo...
- French Healthcare in London
riding, kings place, courgettes, livre, Bonduelle, The Earrings of Madame de, common thread, Tom McCarthy, interview, Champagne Colin, Amarcord, London Fashion Week, Education, boules tournament, crottins de chèvre, Bahier, Gabrielle, Sea, Crêpes, event, Culture, La haine, Cheese, Charlotte Gainsbourg,